Sasol is an international integrated chemicals and energy company that leverages technologies and the expertise of more than 30,000 people working in more than 30 countries. We develop and commercialize technologies, and build and operate world-scale facilities to produce a range of high-value product streams, including liquid fuels, chemicals and low-carbon electricity.
In North America, Sasol is building a world-scale petrochemical complex and already has operations in Arizona, Louisiana, Pennsylvania and Texas. Collectively, these sites employ a workforce of approximately 1,500 people and manufacture the primary ingredients in detergents, personal care products, waxes and specialty products used as abrasives, catalysts, thickeners, ceramics and more.
Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, Sasol is listed on the New York and Johannesburg stock exchanges.
Due to our tremendous growth we an opening for a Market Developer - MWL. This position reports to the Manager Market Development MWL and is located in Houston, Texas or in the US. Below are details of the positon requirements:
This role encompasses the management of products related to our existing and future Metalworking/Lubrication (MWL) portfolio: Direct administrative and functional responsibility to develop and grow sales at existing and new customers, with the main target to grow the business of identified products from Performance Chemicals that can be differentiated in the MWL markets.
* Generate sales of Sasol differentiated and specialty products into the North American Metalworking/Lubrication (MWL) market
* Develop/manage strategic relationships with key customers or other key players in the European metalworking/lubrication (MWL) market. Use these relationships to drive sales
* Input into the optimization of sales volumes, prices, and contribution margin for sales into the MWL sector
* Deliver sales to support ten-year growth targets and budgets based on acquired identified market opportunities
* Input into the global strategy to penetrate MWL market areas. Help to align Sasol products, systems, assets and resources to execute the strategy
* Work with a global team of Market Developers collectively focused on delivering market specific strategies and earnings targets
* Uncover and report on market trends that will be used to drive and prioritize development of products and processes to support growth in the MWL market
* Work within the global team of the Performance Chemicals function in the execution of specifically agreed initiatives in terms of product, application area and/or turnaround profit improvement projects
* Continuously interact with R&D, P&O, Managers S&M, Sales Managers, other Market Developers and technical personnel in order to coordinate and manage all aspects of the daily business / product sales
* Uncover and report on market information that will be used to justify new Sasol assets, technologies, or capacities resulting from execution of Differentiation Strategy
* Work with Manager MD MWL to negotiate/execute/manage contracts with Customers, Distributors, Agents, Consultants, and other Partners, as required by the Differentiation Strategy
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
* Technical degree, e.g. Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, etc.
* Commercial qualification (MBA/MBL) a plus
* At least 10 years of experience in the chemical industry
* Sales experience; preferably selling chemicals to the MWL or similar technical market
* MWL industry specific knowledge (products, applications, customers, competitors)
* Analytical skills
* Broad leadership skills, demonstrated ability to manage a global team
* Technical and commercial experience and industry specific knowledge
* Analytical skills, Customer-, service- and solution-oriented personality
* Excellent interpersonal skills, thorough communication, relationship building, selling skills
* Ability to work under pressure, prioritizing and control of workload for self and others
* Willingness for 50-75% travel including occasional international travel
* Thorough communication, relationship building and selling skills (e.g. interacting with customers,
selling the message, negotiating winning solutions, building trust and partnerships, decision making)
* Customer-, service- and solution-oriented personality (e.g. self-motivation, delivering high quality
solutions and services, demonstrating flexibility)
* User skills for IT modules corresponding to Sales tasks (Market Research, CRM, Pricing, Sales Forecasting, Sample Mgmt, Help & Information, MS Office
* Fluency in English
Location: Houston, TX
Sasol (USA) Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by applicable law, regulation or local ordinance. For more information about your rights under the law, see
Sasol treats work-authorized job applicants equally in recruiting and hiring without regard to their citizenship status or national origin unless required by law, regulation, executive order, government contract, or determination by the Attorney General. Please note Sasol will not sponsor, obtain, and/or petition for temporary visa status (for example, E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN) for candidates for this position and/or personnel hired for this position.
Associated topics: architectural, architecture, autocad, cad, develop, draw, engineer, engineering, gs 0801, technician